Wednesday, January 27, 2010

One last hurrah!!

We have found something wonderful during the last several months…Sushi!  We have slowly been introduced to it by some of our friends and have now become amazed by the new creations we have recently found.  My wife is currently trying to follow Weight Watchers and has found it to be quite compliant to her diet.  This has also contributed to our enjoyment of this delicacy.  The only problem we have found is that it, like most food, costs money.

We have recently been trying to realign our spending and put ourselves on a budget.  Therefore, we have needed to limit our spending on hamburgers, pizza, sporting events, and raw fish.  This change has taken a lot of prayer and thought, but more difficultly, it has taken much intestinal fortitude (and intestinal want for finer things).  We frequently lack self-control in spending our money and easily find ourselves in a restaurant for dinner just because we had no plan.  So now, we have a plan.

One last hurrah.  We will enjoy one last evening eating sushi at the great little place we just found, but then we will limit our expenditures.  There will only be eating out as our pre-planned budget allows.  This is the line in the sand!

The boys were enjoying the miso soup, California Rolls and tuna rolls.  My wife and I just finished our spicy salmon roll and began on the Chef’s special.  It was a masterpiece, beautifully arranged and quite tasty.  Then, my pocket vibrated, it was my phone.  A call from someone surely trying to interrupt our wonderful meal…no, it was my mother-in-law (same thing, right).

“Your cousin is trying to call you, there is a leak in your trailer.” She said slightly panicked.  I tried to dismiss it because it seems things quite frequently get blown out of proportion.  Then it happened again…my pocket vibrated.  It was the end of our meal.

“Is your trailer unlocked?  There is water pouring out of it!"

All I could imagine was water pouring out the front door and seeping through every seam possible!  As my wife said, “I truly felt homeless!”

What do we do?  I rushed out of the restaurant and left my family there to enjoy what was left of our meal.  The whole way ho,e I was replaying what could have happened.  I left the grey water tank closed and the water pipe had frozen.  Someone left the water on and it filled up.  When full it backed into the bathtub and all over the floor.  That was plausible and I felt very likely.  Our cousin called and my heart sank.

“So, is it bad?”

“Well, they shut the water off and your floors seem dry.”

What?  How could that be?  That was not one of the possibilities.  There must be a mistake.  I am sure they just did not see the water.  I will make a better estimation when I get there.  When I get there, I am nervous and scared as the door opens…dry, dry, dry.  How could that be?  The floor is dry.

A quick inspection of the trailer revealed that the grey water holding tank had actually froze and ruptured.  We accidently left the kitchen sink running while the water lines were frozen and when they thawed, the weight of the filling tank ripped an eighteen inch slit in the bottom of the tank.  Great, now what?  No washing hands, brushing teeth, or washing dishes until that gets fixed!!

I did fix it the next weekend.  Let me just say, working with fiberglass and rosin upside-down, under a trailer with a four and six year old is quite difficult.  However, we can now run the water without all of our neighbors knowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment