Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Flood

My wife’s account continues:

Tuesday July 21st, 2009 The Flood
Our town is known for having monsoon rains in the afternoon in July. This particular time it rained 2 inches within a few hours (more than the amount of rainfall in the whole month of July, usually). The roof water from our house drained into the flowerbeds which then overflowed into the basement. The water came flowing into the basement windows and onto the carpet, breaking a bookcase and collecting enough water onto the carpet that you boys could splash around in it. It just so happened that Granna had been watching you at our house, and playing with you in the basement. She was able to keep the damage minimal. Great-granny and Papa came to help vacuum up the water.

The crazy thing is that I didn’t care about the possessions down there! I was concerned about the photo albums of you and our younger days as a married couple. The only other item I cared about was a Mother Goose book Granddaddy gave me when the oldest was born that Granddaddy personally wrote in. Other than that, it would have been a relief for those items to be ruined…this tells me that my possessions have become a burden instead of a blessing.

When I told my friend about The Flood she said, “Get in your Ark!” Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment