Monday, October 26, 2009

How do we look?

Tonight we had some friends and their two boys come over to the campground to enjoy an evening of vacation with us.  It was quite enjoyable as we sat around the campfire and roasted marshmallows.  The crisp cool air and the warmth of the flickering fire combined to make it a very pleasant time.  With our friends, we discussed our lifestyle, the “rigs” we have seen, and life in general.

Together, we have five boys.  As they roasted marshmallows and looked for things to throw into the fire, they occasionally became a little loud and giggly.  Occasionally, I would glance over to the RV two spots away and see a gentleman looking at us.  He did not look particularly annoyed, but he continued to look our way anytime the sound level exceeded that of a whimper.  Being a responsible parent, I accordingly reminded the boys that others were in the campground and trying to enjoy their evening.  The requisite peace ensued, briefly.

As my wife and our friends went inside to warm-up and admire our humble abode, our neighbor slowly sauntered my way.

“May I ask you a question?” He implored.

“Sure.” I hesitantly responded as I was sure I was about to receive a lecture regarding campground etiquette.  My parenting seems to be questioned quite a bit as my boys are quite vocal in their opinions and generally expressive.  Therefore, I was readying myself for quite the attack.

“Would you like some things we have?  We are just going to throw them away.”

“Uh.” It was all I could muster as I was dumbfounded by his question.  He continued to explain how he and his wife flew in from New York and rented an RV.  Tomorrow they would be leaving and had more than they could take with them.  Mustard, salt, crackers, and sour cream were all unopened and to be thrown away if we did not want them.  That was not to mention the toilet paper, paper towels and pillows (we will wash those, of course) they would bring over later as they may need them tonight.  I gratefully accepted all they had as it would just be trash in the morning.

As I returned to our trailer, I proudly presented the spoils of my venture and was met by my wife’s continually positive comments.

“Wow, we must really look poor!  They are giving us stuff.”

She was wrong, I think.  They were flying out in the morning and mustard exceeds the limit of fluids allowed on a flight, their suitcases could only hold so much toilet paper and the rest would just be going into the trash.  Therefore, we were not a charity case.  They did not feel right just throwing large amounts of useful odds and ends into the dumpster.  And I will keep telling myself that every time someone offers this poor family food, clothing and other assorted handouts.

1 comment:

  1. Well, pass on to Deona for me, that it will never change. No matter how much money you appear to have or not have people will automatically want to give you things when you have multiple small children. I think it fascinates people to see us who have more than two children. They assume we will need things. It's ok with me. But I do the same thing to my friend who has four under 7 and one more one the way. She has money. They are NOT hurting in the least and are very generous with their blessings. But I still find myself seeing things that I think they could use or would like. THey don't need my "hand me downs", but I love them and want to contribute.
    I think it's awesome that he did that. What nice people you all will run into... I am so proud of you guys. Have I said that before?? :)love... Chaney

    ReplyDelete