Monday, October 12, 2009

We must act now!

Ok, now we are pumped!  We must get busy.  After meeting the tent dweller, we came home and got to work.  In a matter of hours, I was a registered member of the “Mobile-Living” Yahoo Group, our house was overpriced and listed on Craigslist and we were knee-deep in eBay listings for travel trailers.

Travel trailers are a curious breed.  They range widely in size, color, age, smell, and state of deterioration.  Our price-range was well below the large, good-looking, newer, clean smelling and structurally sound trailers we found to be plentiful.  The hunter’s special seemed to be easy to find at a great price.  On eBay, the hunter’s special usually had very few pictures and vague descriptions that let you now it was equivalent to a dog house on wheels. It was somewhere you would imagine a pedophile, serial killer or the “Unabomber” living.  We knew this search was going to be tough.

5 Bedrm, 3 bath, 2700sqft, BSMT - $2100.  What?  Why did we ask that much?  Well, we didn’t want it to be rented this month unless we got a great deal for ourselves.  I knew our house would NEVER rent for that, but my wife wanted to get it out there and pray that some wealthy person who did not have the wherewithal to buy a house would want to rent ours.  Oh well, with a few pictures and some annoying abbreviations, our house was for rent and the journey toward leaving was begun.

There are Yahoo Groups for anything!  Cat lovers, knitting groups, parenting groups and even trailer royalty (not to be confused with trailer-trash) all have a home on Yahoo.  I found a group where I too was to be accepted.  I was warmly welcomed into the Mobile Living Yahoo Group.  Many of the members eagerly answered my questions and offered suggestions on how to enjoy a life of freedom and mobility.  They also provided me with the bumper sticker which will soon adorn the bumper of our trailer.

“I am not homeless, I am mobile”

Our journey had finally begun, but mountainous tasks veiled by the fog of excitement lie before us.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I have to tell you how excited I get when I click on your blog to see if you've posted anything new! I am so living vicariously through you guys. I crave the simple life so much. When we moved to GA we moved from a 2400 sq ft house to about 900 i think... temporarily. We moved just the basics into the house and I loved it. The problem was the accumulation of stuff that happens naturally over time. After a year and a half, we had gathered too much stuff each. Even while we were trying not too. It just happens. We were severely overcrowded. I gave away a ton and sold some and we moved to a bigger house. i love my home but still crave the simple. I want both. :) So I'll just keep reading your blog!
    Love you guys! Chaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have found that it is a daily decision to live without accumulation. We chose this route to force us into a lifestyle of less.

    ReplyDelete